Cravings don’t stop after pregnancy ends…or maybe I’m just using it as an excuse. Anyway, I had a taste for caramel and apples the other day, and I had the honeycrisp apples but no caramel. I wasn’t about to run out to the store with the baby just for a jar of caramel soooo I looked up a homemade recipe. To my surprise, it’s pretty simple to make. I thought I’d share it since we’re getting into the real fall weather and this pairs perfectly with apple pie, ice cream and in coffee!
I found it on Pinterest, but since the original page is somewhat lengthy, I got right down to brass tax. Here’s the recipe:
What You’ll Need:
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup (160 ml) heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons (45 grams) unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon size pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
What to do:
- In a saucepan, heat the water and sugar over medium heat. Make sure to use a saucepan that’s a little bigger than what you think you will need. Stir constantly until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture starts to bubble just a little.
- Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, stop stirring completely. Let the mixture continue boiling until it turns an amber color, this could take anywhere from 4-12 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and slowly whisk in the heavy cream. The mixture will bubble up quite a bit, so make sure to do this very carefully. Then, mix in the butter, vanilla, and salt one at a time.
4. Pour the caramel sauce into a dish and allow to cool completely, then cover tightly and store in the refrigerator. The caramel sauce will thicken up some once it’s cooled and refrigerated.