Our Birth Story

Friday, February 26, 2016

It was an ordinary day, I had my 37 week OB appointment at 8:30 AM. The doctor determined that I was minimally effaced and not dilated at all. All was normal and looked great, so I went to work and completed my day.

Saturday, February 27, 2016

Kevin and I had an appointment in the morning to interview a potential pediatrician.  During the interview, I had an intense Braxton Hicks contraction that took my breath away, but thought nothing of it.

The rest of the day we spent time running errands together, gathering more baby items, getting a last minute mani/pedi since “we don’t know when we’ll be able to do this again before the baby comes”. By the end of the night I was having a few more Braxton Hicks contractions, but again, shrugged them off. During the night I woke up 4 times with similar, but more severe contractions.

Sunday, February 28, 2016

8AM: After being awoken by mild contractions 4 times throughout the night, I was awoken by a stronger contraction. I timed these to be 3-4 minutes apart lasting 30-45 seconds. I was able to talk through the contractions, so I wasn’t concerned

12PM: Contractions continue at the same rate and slightly increased intensity. A call was made to the Dr. who suggested to continue timing, and come to the hospital if I am unable to tolerate the pain.  Call made to both parents to make travel arrangements for potential delivery tomorrow.

6PM: Contractions intensifying, excitement is building and adrenaline is rushing. This may be the real deal! Started packing our bags and the car. Installed the car seat into the SUV.

8PM: Oscars are on! We waited until after Chris Rock’s opening monologue to go the hospital

10PM: Arrived at Inova Hospital. Checked into the maternity ward. Some skeptical glances from the staff when I refused to use a w/c. They must have suspected I was not truly in labor if I am able to walk.

Monday, February 29, 2016 (LEAP YEAR DAY)

12AM: The OBGYN on duty determined I am indeed in early labor, but only 1 cm dilated. I now have begun to have back labor. She confirms via ultrasound that the baby is in OB position, thus causing my back pain. She prescribes a sleeping aide and suspects I will be back in a few hours ready to give birth.

2AM: We finally got home, I was in 8/10 pain now mainly in my low back. I took the Ambient and attempt to sleep.

7AM: Woke up from intense contractions, ate some protein.

9AM: Took a 1.5 mile walk with the dogs and Kevin down the hill to manage the back labor pain and hopefully move the cervix open more.

12PM: We finally made the trip to the OBGYN clinic. She determined I was 3.5cm dilated and admited me to the hospital

1PM: Traci Ito, our friend, happened to be starting her rotation as chief OBGYN resident at Inova Hospital. She met and brought us to the labor and delivery floor. She has handpicked the nursing team that will be working with us.

2PM: Kayla, Baby Kevolyn’s godmother, arrived and we all took a walk around the unit and find some popsicles! No more snacks, only ice chips and popsicles.

4PM: Back pain intensified with contractions. Consented to the epidural. Insertion of epidural is relatively quick, but painful. However, after the procedure, there is immediate relief and the pressure of the contractions could barely be felt.

5PM: 5cm at this point.

6PM: The attending broke my water with the possibility of delivering before midnight (Leap Day!)

8PM: Mom and Dad arrived from CT and FL. Baby was experiencing some decals and fluctuations in heart rate.

9PM: Cervix was now 8cm

10PM: 10 cm…gametime

11:30PM: After an hour of pushing, C-section is scheduled.

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

12:30AM: It’s a boy!! Weighing 7lbs 2oz, measuring 21 inches long he was sporting a full head of hair. I was drifting in and out of consciousness. We name him Chase Clayton Johnson, his middle name after Kevin’s grandmother. They have to wake me up to see him. He lifts his head straight up off my chest for me to give him a kiss as I fall back asleep.

Monday, March 7, 2016

After almost a week of being in the hospital and Chase receiving phototherapy treatment for moderate jaundice…we finally got to take him home!!